'Detoxing' makes me think of New Year Resolutions and diets. Yet here's a really simple and stunningly effective way to detox. AND it's quick, easy and doesn't require willpower!
Think about it - the objective of a Detox is to help the body rid itself of substances that are not contributing to optimal health. Our bodies are super-efficient at sorting out the needed from the harmful - or they should be.
But at times the innards get clogged up and need a helping hand (or brush).
Your largest organ of the body, important for daily detoxing, and the one that is the last to receive nutrients yet the first to show signs of imbalance is.... THE SKIN.
So, by simply brushing the skin you will help its detoxing role and these are 7 awesome benefits:
1. Exfoliating - removing the dead skin cells will help the ones underneath to do their detoxing job. The immediate visual benefit to you is that your skin looks smoother, less flaky
2. Reduces Cellulite - yes really! Increasing the circulation near the surface means more of the waste from cell metabolism is removed. It takes only a few days of dry skin brushing to see significant reductions in that unattractive and ageing 'orange-peel' look of cellulite. So get going NOW before the holidays!
3. Eliminates clogged pores - those poor pores are trying desperately to eliminate toxins from the body via the skin. By dry skin brushing you're going to help them along, helping prevent clogged pores and so make your skin smoother.
4. Improves circulation - the dry skin brushing helps the lymph in your lymph system to move. The way the lymph is moved through your body is by you taking exercise and moving your muscles. Most of us spend a lot of time sitting - which does not help the lymph in the slightest. yet your lymph system is an integral part of your body's detox system. So, brushing helps the movement of lymph fluid which helps you to detox and improves your general circulation
5. Improves digestion - that dry skin brushing will help movement in your gut too, and that will aid digestion.
6. Rejuvenates the nervous system - there are so many nerve endings in your skin and brushing them will help signals fly along the nervous system. Use it or lose it.
7. Major Energy Boost - love this one. Dry skin brushing will leave your skin a little red because you've stimulated the nerves, the blood system, the digestion, the lymph system and the benefit of all that is Bags more Energy!
And it only takes 5 minutes (but you can make it take longer....)
How to Dry Skin Brush:
First you need a Brush - long handled is good, with natural bristles, not too hard.
1. Start on dry skin before bathing & work in gentle circular, upward motions
2. Always begin at the ankles in upwards movements towards the heart – the lymphatic fluid flows through the body towards the heart, so it’s important that you brush in the same direction. 3. Your back is the only exception to the preceding rule; brush from the neck down to the lower back.
4. After you’ve finished with the ankles, move up to the lower legs, thighs, stomach, back and arms. Be cautious of softer and sensitive skin around the chest & breasts, and never brush over inflamed skin, sores, sun-burnt skin, or skin cancer.
Finally - shower to wash away the dead skin cells and impurities . Then follow it up with a slick moisturiser to nourish the skin— my favourite is the Arbonne Seasource Detox body lotion. In fact their whole Detox set is awesome!